Wednesday, November 26, 2008

DO we need a new dog?

The girls and I were busy cooking for tomorrow.....it was a girls only night - TONS of fun :-) We were in the kitchen listening to Christmas music and making a pie when we heard Slash scratching on the living room floor. Here's the situation: our dog is old. He's 12, which is gettin' up there for a Lab. But, the girls think he's their puppy, and they're none the wiser to his age. I knew what was happening - he couldn't get up off the floor. So, I went into the living room and tried to help him by lifting his hind end up. He whimpered and looked at me with very sad eyes. These are the eyes that comforted me through many miscarriages, family deaths, marital strife, and tired nights with new babies. MY puppy is hurting and it absolutely breaks my heart. So, I came in to the kitchen tearing up having a hard time answering the question, "Mommy, why is Slash crying?" I went on to explain that Slash was getting old and his bones are sore. We had a 20 minute conversation that will stick with me for the rest of my life. I tried to explain to my 3 and 4 year old daughters that at some point, Slash won't be here with us everyday. In an instant, Katie went to work trying to make Slash better. She wasn't going to hear negative talk about her puppy. She tried to comfort him by playing music over and over from her snow globe. She brought him treats. She brought out the sacred Snap N' Style Dolls and invited Slash to play with her. And, to cap it off, she gave him her spare blanket, "in case his bones are cold." She played with him, talked to him, petted him and kissed on him. After having some discussion with Slash (I couldn't hear it all...it was quiet talk), she came to me and comforted me, telling me that it was okay if we needed to "get a new dog." Of course, I cried. Because I love her heart. I love her sensitivity. I love the innocence of the whole scenario. She told me that she thinks that Slash wants to see his Mommy, so it was okay. I asked her if she wanted me to take a picture of her and "Slashy Boy" for her photo album. She said it was okay as long as I didn't wake him up. Because he was tucked in. My little ladybug......she is an amazing little soul.

1 comments:

Brown Eyed Girl said...

Wow. I am here wiping my tears with my 11 year old and 8 year old dogs next to me. I think about that dreaded day when they aren't with us an longer. They are the first dogs of my "adult" life. And, like you they have been through everything I have.

I can still remember 8 years or so ago when Craig and I had to put our guinea pig to sleep. It was our first pet as a married couple. We would lay in bed at night and cry. We loved that little guy.

Thanks for sharing from your heart.