Monday, November 24, 2008

Flu Shot Day!

It may have been easier just to let the girls get sick! Katie was my brave little toaster. She tried to tell Molly that "shots are good" and "shots don't hurt!", but Molly wasn't buying it. We even had Katie go first so that Molly could watch. Katie was my flu shot rockstar!

When I was a kid, my favorite show to watch and scare myself with was "The Incredible Hulk". I would watch it only if my dad was watching it too because I would sit on the floor clutching his legs. And you always knew when it was going to happen. The music would start. The camera would freeze and David Banner's eyes would start to get glassy. Next thing you knew, the shirt started to tear. Well, I experienced that today with Molly. There was no music. Just screaming. Lots of it. Now, my 4 3/4 year old daughter went from encouraging Katie to negotiating with the nurse. She kept screaming and crying..."Wait Dr., wait....I don't want it to hurt!" And, God love 'em, for the most part, pediatric nurses have no soft sides. They just say it like it is. The louder Molly screamed, the louder the nurse yelled, "You've got to not overthink it Molly." At one point, I looked right at the nurse as she was trying to hold down The Hulk and I just thought to myself, "Really? You're telling her to not 'overthink it'? Huh...she barely grasps the concept of brushing our teeth before bed. You're coming at her with a needle and you want her to not 'overthink it'? I think I'm just going to sit back and let her kick you in the teeth with her boots on." But alas, I had thoughts of my mother who at one point was a pediatric nurse (please see above comment re: the soft sides) and decided that I would protect this nurse.

As if Molly hollowing wasn't enough - all the commotion freaked out Katie. She obviously felt as if this nurse was trying to amputate Molly's leg, so SHE starts screaming. It was like a little choir of screaming and yelling. It was beautiful. I considered trying to start a round of "Row Row Row Your Boat" but I thought better of it when the nurse started barking at me to hold The Hulk's hands. I kicked in with the negotiations. I was talking normally in Molly's ear, telling her that she needed to calm down because she was upsetting Katie, but that didn't matter. I was trying to comfort Katie with my foot because both my arms and my torso were holding down Molly. It wasn't working (small shock). And just like that, it was over. The nurse said, "There, you're done Molly." And Molly popped up like a spring, without a tear, and said "Thank you." What? Thank you?!? Well, at least The Hulk has manners. At this point, we packed our bag (remember the music when David Banner had to leave town because his secret was out and he starts hitchiking down the street? Start humming that now.) and I opened the door. I don't know WHY I assumed it was a sound proof door. Every single person in that dr.'s office was staring at us. Small children, adults, patients, dr.'s, EVERYONE. I, of course, wanted to start asking them all what the hell they were staring at, but, I didn't. We made our way to the toy basket (which is full of junk that I'm pretty sure is already wedged in my car seats) and we checked out. I asked the nurse at the front desk if it was my turn for a shot - a shot of tequila. I thought I was being witty and trying to break the ice (because everyone was so horrified) but she just cordially laughed and looked at the door. I took the hint. I'm sure that there's a note in our file.

2 comments:

Julie said...

seriously - I had to read this outloud to Scott and we were both in tears laughing! Thanks for the good night story for us! You are a great writer!

Heidi Lee said...

I laughed out loud at you comforting Katie with you foot. I could picture the entire happening that went down at the docs.

GREAT story!