Tuesday, November 18, 2008

I feel her pain...

My little Ladybug (Katie) has so much anxiety about being left. I know that it's because we had some major changes all at once (new daycare and start of school within days of each other...hindsight - I would do it differently). But, it's been almost 2 1/2 months and she STILL panics in the a.m. when we go to new daycare. I remember having that same kind of anxiety; the fear of being left. I think that mine came from my brother taunting me when we were young - he used to tell me at the grocery store that mom and dad were leaving us there. Once at KMart, I went out and sat on the hood of the car so that I KNEW they wouldn't leave us. My parents used to drop me off at brownies and I wouldn't even go downstairs - I would stand upstairs and wait for them to come back to pick me up. When I went to swim lessons, I had such a stomach ache, I couldn't even swim. But Katie, she panics and I feel so bad for her because I know that fear. I try to reassure her when I take her to daycare that I'll be back right after lunch. Sometimes I leave her something of mine so that she knows that I'll be back to collect. But those big eyes, full of tears, kill me. She looks up at me, "Mommy, don't take so long." What instills that fear in kids? Molly doesn't even blink twice when I'm leaving. But Katie has to tell me at least five times to not "take so long." I'm sad for her because I don't want her to feel that pain, the fear of being abandoned. How do I shake that for her???

1 comments:

Heidi Lee said...

Oh my word Beals, YOU HAVE A BLOG!! I love it! I already put it on my "blogs I visit" spot. Yipee!! Now I can check on you all the time!

Oh, so sorry for Katie. I don't know if this will help, but Mylie, who is 6, cried the first month of school when she started 1st grade. She loved Kindergarten, but 1st grade was just much too long for her. Now, she is finally used to it. There are other times where she is afraid I won't show up to something and she'll be very stressed about it. She is our crier. She is afraid we will leave her, and we've never EVER left her yet! I think it's a kid thing.

You are doing everything wonderfully. Just keep doing what your doing, she'll will finally realize that everything will be ok. You are a GREAT mommy!!

P.S I tried commenting once already, and my computer froze up and I lost it. So if this happens to show up twice...sorry!