Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Baby, Mr. Walt and God

You may know this or you may remember the status changes on Facebook...a few weeks ago, we lost Baby. Katie's Baby is her best friend (shhhh...don't tell Molly.) This Baby was a gift from Miss Jenny (our old daycare friend) and for as long as Katie can remember, she has not been without Baby. When Baby got lost a few weeks ago, I honestly felt pain for her. She grieved in a way that only a 3 1/2 year old can grieve. She doesn't understand the concept of death, but she understood the idea of loss. She felt it and so did I. So, when we found Baby (I'm still not sure how it all came down...all I know is that I came home from work and Baby had returned) it was like Christmas all over again.

The girls both go to preschool at our church. We have the BEST custodian at church - Mr. Walt. He's an amazingly sweet grandpa type man who always greets the girls when they go to school. When we go in, they run down the hall to Mr. Walt's office and say Hi. It's a double bonus because Mr. Walt goes to our church too, so they see him on Sunday's as well.

Tonight we were at church because I've been taking a class. The girls get to play with their friends. It's fun to see them become so comfortable with the church and the other kids their age. It warms my heart. When we left the house, Katie, of course, insisted on taking Baby. Dan has become like a hall monitor whenever Baby is involved..."Leave Baby in the car." "Don't take Baby in." "Leave Baby home...I'll take care of her!". But, Katie insisted and Dan caved. Off we went to church. When we got there, I told Katie - "You're in charge of Baby. If you take Baby in, you have to bring Baby out." "Yeeeees Mommy."

Fast Forward to us being the last ones in the church parking lot. In the cold. And I have to go potty.

"Mommy, can you hand me Baby?"
"Katie...where IS Baby?"

Pin drop. Gasp.

At this point, Molly kicks in. When we lost Baby a few weeks ago, Molly was not as sad as Katie and I were, but she was sad that I cried. She was my little dancing Monkey, trying to entertain me so that I wouldn't cry with Katie. We had a conversation after the first Baby Tragedy of 2009 about God taking care of Baby. Molly's deep. She's got an old soul. And that soul is such a blessing to all of us. She, in the blink of an eye, can pick up on distress or sadness. She's so sensitive and caring, sometimes I'm scared for her because I feel that she worries about things that no 5 year old should worry about. And she knew that losing Baby again would rock Katie's world. And it did. Katie was, of course, crying. Begging me to go in and get Baby. I tried to help her understand that we could get Baby tomorrow at school. I told her that Baby would have fun spending the night at church. I tried to help her understand that at least THIS TIME, we knew were Baby was. And, I threw down my mother card by trying out, "Katie...didn't Mommy and Daddy tell you that YOU were in charge of Baby? Wasn't it YOUR responsibility to make sure Baby came home with us?"

Clearly I wasn't comforting Katie enough. Molly, in all her glory, stepped in. She began to rub Katie's face. She started talking to her in her best "Mommy" voice. "It's okay Katie. Baby is warm. Baby will sleep okay. We'll find you another Baby at home." She was workin' it with Katie. And, she kept glancing at me as to say "See Mommy, THIS is how you soothe someone!" But Katie...she was sobbing, asking Molly to figure out how to get in the church and retrieve Baby.

And, as quickly as it started, it was over when Molly said the magic words. "Katie...don't worry...God will take care of Baby. Well, God and Mr. Walt." Katie lifted her head and took a deep breath. She looked at Molly and smiled. "Thank You, Molly." As we drove past the church, Katie waved and said, "Goodbye Baby. Mr. Walt and God will take care of you."

2 comments:

Heidi Lee said...

I hope "mr. walt" reads this.

This whole story gave me chills.

Your an incredible mom with some awesome girls...you and Dad are doing something amazing.

Heidi Lee said...

Ummmmm....you and DAN....although I am sure your Dad is a wonderful grandpa.

Can't keep track of these fingers! And the coffee has worn off.