Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Summer Fun

Today is a brain mush day. Yesterday was WAAAAAY to lazy in our house. After a weekend of camping and air shows and beach living (and massive sunburn....when the antibiotics say to avoid direct exposure to sun, they aren't kidding!) it felt good to just lay in the air conditioning and watch mindless TV (I could watch iCarly all day. There. I said it.)

There were a few moments over the weekend that I wanted to freeze. Our little family unit of 4 travels so well together and we excel at camping. It's a hobby that I'm so thankful for and I truly feel blessed that we're all such lovers of camping. We spent time at Ft. Custer Recreation Area this weekend (it's in Battle Creek. Truly one of my fav state parks.) and enjoyed the Air Show. We didn't get to see the hot air balloons which was quite a bummer, but we did get to see jets/airplanes/fun planes @ the air show, and we experienced our first canoe trip with the girls. That was cool b/c Dan and I have done a lot of canoeing together over the years and it was fun to share that with the girls. Eagle Lake @ Ft. Custer was beautiful, mainly because it's pure trees. There are no houses on the lake. And, swimming there is a crazy show - minnows, sun fish and carp swim RIGHT up to you. I couldn't go in. I was a smidge freaked by the carp. But, the girls and Dan loved it. We rode bikes. Walked. Roller skated. Made s'mores. And talked. That's the best part. Watching Dan and Molly sit by the fire and have conversation. I have no idea what they talked about - that's their thing. But, whatever it was, it lasted for a long time. It blessed my heart. Katie and I rode in the car both ways, so we had alone time to talk about various topics. (The things that float through her little brain astonish me.)

Of course I dream of big family vacations. I want to go to Disney with my girls. I want to travel the United States. I was to see so many things. But I don't want to move past the simplicity of camping. I never want to abandon the time we have just the four of us, with our little totes of goodies, and our s'more sticks. I'm thankful that our family enjoys this adventure of camping. It's a moment that I will freeze in my mind forever.

0 comments: